Do You Need A New Roof?
One of the questions I get asked most often on the radio is “How do I know if I need a new roof?” Here’s a quick top-ten list of things to look for on an asphalt shingled roof:
- Water spots on interior surfaces.
- Shingle wear or missing shingles.
- Raised shingles.
- Loose flashing.
- Inadequate ventilation.
- No drip edge.
- Multiple roof layers.
- No fireplace cricket.
- Wavy deck surface.
- Mold or mildew.
Let’s break it down.
If you have any of these top-ten issues, it’s time for a new roof. Here are steps and questions to ask so ‘you don’t let do it yourself, become do it to yourself!’
- Reach out to the professionals you know for recommendations.
- Ask friends and neighbors for recommendations.
- Ask for warranty options in writing.
- Know who stands behind the warranty.
- Never put good over bad. Remove all roof layers to the deck and start from scratch.
- Ask for synthetic deck underlayment.
- Ask for a complete system from one company to validate warranty.
In the next article, we will discuss metal roofing!
Rick Allen is the host of Rick’s House Home Improvement Show which is heard each Saturday morning 8-10AM on Talk Radio 92.3FM / AM760. This article is provided by Rick’s House Home Improvement Show with expert input by East Tennessee Exteriors, a Diaz Company.